Monday, January 7, 2008

Rule of Three?

My husband's precious grandfather, the late Papaw Smith, always said when stuff breaks, be prepared for two more items to fail you..."things break in threes," he'd say. Well...our family proved that theory not once, but twice in the past 2 weeks.

The day before Christmas--of course--my fabulous "high efficiency" washing machine came down with a "virus." The computer in it is failing miserably, and while I can still get my clothes april fresh, one load takes about 5 hours to complete from start to finish. Ugh. It ain't looking so highly efficient right now, I'll tell ya. The next day, something malfunctioned in our fabulous "top-rated by Consumer Reports" dishwasher, and the spring in the door is kaput. Like the washer, it still works, however the door slams to the floor with the faintest touch--my feet have the bruises to prove this. Ugh. Later on in the same day, our ice maker broke...we have the kind that's built in under the counter--it's not a part of our fridge, that is. The sound of ice tinkling in my glass is a faint memory. (Oh ice, my dear, how I didn't appreciate you as a presence in my life 'til now.) Ugh.

Three major appliances on the fritz...well, that just proved Papaw's rule of three theory. Great. Just what we needed. Thankfully the washing machine & dishwasher are both under warranty, so we are out no bucks. Regrettably, the ice machine's warranty is a dream that once was. Now we gotta buy a new one. Merry Christmas to us--now we know what we're gonna do with all the Christmas money we received from family.

In one of the previous posts I regaled you, dear reader, about our plight on the side of the mountain. No flat tire will ruin Scott & Leigh Anne's date night, oh no! Even before the tire issue, Scott had an encounter with a tree that left his right side mirror in a mess. So there were our two auto mishaps. My mother-in-law reminded us, "Things happen in threes, as my Daddy always said." Yeesh. Just what we need!

Indeed, while driving to Knoxville, TN, this past Saturday (not in our car or the truck--the minivan!) my friend, Kim, glanced over at my side of the windshield and asked, "Is that a crack in the glass?" I didn't even have to search for it...OF COURSE it's a crack. I mean, things happen in threes, right? At least they seem to for us.

Rather than being bogged down and playing our "Oh, woe is me" card in all this, we decided to look on these events as blessings. I am trying to find more blessings in my days, rather than stressings. I'm grateful for my semi-new appliances (we built this house in '04/'05) and for the vehicles parked in our garage. Even if they do fail me every now and then...or in threes...at least I have them. Everything's fixable. And now that it's after-the-fact, it's kind of funny. Not hysterical, mind you, but mildly amusing.

"But my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:19

1 comment:

Vicki said...

That's a good way to look at it. And it always makes ya grateful for what you do have. Oh, thanks for your comments on my blog. I've switched hosts now and so they're not going to show up any more. Sorry, but thanks!