Friday, June 12, 2009

Jam On It.

What's your jam?


And by "jam," I don't mean the inside of a jar of Smucker's.  I'm talking about your jam.  You know, the song that regardless of when, where, or whatever your mood, the instant you hear its familiar strains, you're doing the bee-bop.  Physically bee-bopping, if you're home alone or perusing the aisles at Target.  (Yeah, like you've never done a bit of a twist in Target.  You know you have.)  Mentally, if you're in the middle of a sermon at church...driving down the highway...mourning at a funeral.  (Come on--like the funeral scene in The Big Chill didn't make you shake a tiny tail feather..."You can't always get what you want..."  The Rolling Stones at a wake?  That's good stuff right there.)

I'm currently creating my Summer Playlist '09 and I want it to be full of jams.  

Bekah's tune is Arcade Fire's Rebellion (Lies).  I've already added it to the '09 playlist for summer.

Oh, Bekah...this is a groove, I tell you.  Yes, I do love you for this.

My beautiful friend Lauren's favorite boogie song is Chamillonaire's Ridin' Dirty.  And I have to admit--this is high on my list.  "They see me rollin'...they hatin'..."

Just try to catch me ridin' dirty.  I dare you.  


And then Nikki-my-Love has claimed one of my all-time favorite dance songs--EVER--as her jam:

Oh, Debbie Deb...When I Hear Music it makes me wanna dance...and pull on my fuchsia satin hot pants, lace up my roller skates, and spend the afternoon going 'round the rink.  (Olympia Skate Center--Warner Robins peeps, represent!!!)

As for me...
I have two jams...
The first is Prince's Raspberry Beret.  I've loved this song since it debuted in 1985. Y'all...there's a bicycle bell ringing throughout this mini-symphony...this ode to teenage love.  You know that is seriously the coolest. (Ok, so it's not really a bicycle bell--it's finger cymbals.  But bicycle bell sounds way more fun.)  You Tube has no decent video of Raspberry Beret...

...so I give you my all-time favorite...the song I've worked it out to for most of my 34.5 years:

My head is bowed in respect for the late, great Jackie Wilson.  Don't even think of dismissing him.  He was the legend among legends.  I love me some Otis Redding...Sam Cooke...and Marvin Gaye.  But Jackie?  He is IT.  And Baby Workout is MY jam.  I dance to it in my bathroom.  Out by the pool.  In my car.  (Yes, I have a whole seat routine choreographed to Baby Workout.  No foolin'!)  And I want it played at my funeral--so y'all can get your swerve on here on earth, while I'm groovin' in Eternity.

I'm not even kidding.  I want to go out with a bang.  A Jackie Wilson-serenaded bang.

So please help me add to my Summer Playlist '09.  I wanna know your jam.  What do you rock out to?  Share it with me.  I'll add it to my playlist and think of you all season long.  And maybe I'll create a new car routine to one of your favorites.  

That's grounds for a road trip right there.  So we can get down, girl, go 'head get down...wooooooo!

Happy weekend, y'all!


*Edited to add--a lot of you are mentioning the Black Eye Peas' "Boom Boom Pow."  Yes, I love that song.  Yes, I have an entire car routine for it.  (Ask my pal Lacey--she choreographed it.)  Yes, it's on the summer playlist.  Duh!

35 comments:

SunshineBarlowe.com said...

Wooohooo..I am the first!

Girl, now you know I love, love, love this post..not only for obvious reasons.. *hello you wrote it :)..but, music binds us.... so, I'm all over it.

I wish I could surprise you but, I mean I can't.. you know how much I adore this band...

The first is by
The Cure.

Just like Heaven...

and
second..

New Order - Bizarre Love Triangle

and third.. (just for kicks)

AHA - Take On Me


I could add a hundred more..:) you know.

Heather said...

Pour Some Sugar on Me.

C'mon, you know you want to.

Michelle and I used to cruise up and down our town's main street with this song CRANKED UP.

Still does it for me.

My newest jam? Boom boom Pow. Lovin' the Black Eyed Peas' newest CD.

(I demand to see your seat routine in July. Got it?)

mommakin said...

Smells Like Teen Spirit in a very close race with American Idiot.

Love your blog!

Mama Dawg said...

My latest is "boom, boom pow" by the B.E.P.'s and as for older songs, wow, there's soooooooooooooo many. I like Ridin' Dirty and anything from Ms. Stefani's solo album L.A.M.B.

Yeah, I gotta go with Gwen Stefani's "Hollaback Girl". Cheesy, but nevertheless, it makes me bop.

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

I am so not the music guru that you are. But how could you not seat dance to Bare Naked Ladies "One Week?" And sing out random lines because I am so not cool enough to know whole verses. "Like Harrison Ford I'm getting frantic...like Sting I'm tantric"

Or "I don't make films...but if I did they'd have a samurai.."

Brandy said...

It's going to be really hard to narrow this down, but since I'm on a "girl" kick lately, I'd say anything by Heart, Eurythmics Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This), Apple Fiona's Criminal, Jewel's Foolish Games, and last but not least Alanis Morissette's You Oughta Know and dozens of others.

And I do love the BEP's song, especially Fergie's part...guess you aren't too surprised by that.

~Michelle~ said...

Walkin' on Sunshine...every time!

Unknown said...

Burn me a copy when you finish this mix, please.

Also, you should stop linking to Nikki b/c she'll clearly NEVER update her blog ever again

*click*

Melissa said...

I dig me some Stray Cats and B-52's, Rock Lobster...., Flock of Seagulls....

I have this really awesome 80's CD that my kids go crazy for.

Robin said...

I have come across a CD from Target with hip-hop songs on it from the early 90s (you know, my time =)) Anywho, I also bust out singing and dancing to "Bust a Move" by Young MC. It always can get me moving!!

Busy Bee Lauren said...

I am with Bekah, can you burn me a copy. I love you.

Elena said...

I'm loving Lady Gaga's "Poker Face" right now. Can't wait to see you list in its entirity.

Swirl Girl said...

family jams in the car are about where it is at these days with us...Outkast's Hey Ya makes for some awesome car-ser-cise!

Shannon said...

Sam Cooke's "Twistin' the Night Away" is my "Baby Workout".

My sister turned me on to Lady Gaga. I've been listening to a lot of her lately.

I'll be showing my "Poker Face" in Vegas. Oh, yes... I will.

Marrdy said...

Nickleback....I Wanna Be A Rock Star. Go check out the video on YouTube. You will fall in love too!

Jenni said...

No Parking on the Dance Floor by Midnight Star. LOVE.

Jenni said...

Also...I need to add

Love Roller Coaster by the Ohio Players

AND

Cherry Lips by Garbage

Anonymous said...

@bekah, shut it biotch! you just dont know about my secret blog that i update all the time!

oh wait you do... you write it with me.

crap.

Unknown said...

Come fly with me by the one and only frank,...anything by frank, anything by led zepplin....Bon Jovi "Ill be there for you", holy cow! The CURE anything and everything, oh the list goes on

Sissy said...

One of my favorites is "Canned Heat" by Jamiroquai...great for the car and treadmill. "Rollercoaster" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers is also a great one to drive to and I can put the pedal down to "One way or another, I'm gonna find you, I'm gonna getcha, getcha, getcha."

I totally agree with "Pour some sugar on me" as well. Can't you see the scene from Coyote Ugly?

ParentingPink said...

Wow - featured in Vogue! You go girl! I'll have to pick up a copy so I can read your letter to the editor! Woo-hoo! Great job!

As far as summer "jams" - I have many. BUT I have fallen IN LOVE with Lady GaGa's "Poker Face" and "Just Dance." Want more? Try a little Britney Spears "Circus". It ROCKS! My girls can't get enough of it. Also - I'm with the Boom Boom Pow crowd too!

Shauna said...

Hope you have a super weekend!
♥ HUGS ♥

CaraBee said...

Dude, I loves me some music. Did you know my mom owns a record store? Well, it's all cds now, but it will always be a record store to me. She opened the first one when I was 5. I spent half my life in there with her. She keeps talking about selling it and while I encourage her, because I know how tired she is of the rigamarole, it breaks my heart to think of it in someone else's hands.

Anyway, enough of my family history.

My new music loves: The Von Bondies, Lada Gaga, Metric, Shiny Toy Guns. There are a bunch more, but that's the highlights.

Old stuff: I'm with Heather, I can jam to some Def Leppard. And heaven help me if Vanilla Ice or MC Hammer come on the radio. For real. But wait, what about ABBA! My cool old stuff: Siouxsie and the Banshees, Cocteau Twins, The Smiths, Dead Can Dance, The Cure, New Order, et cetera, et cetera.

Jen said...

It's so hard to narrow it down, but if I had to choose-

Love Shack by the B-52's as my old school tune

and

Say Hey by Michael Franti and Spearhead as my new tune.

Kristen said...

Oh, Lula, my love for you knows no bounds.

Cold Hard B$%#@ by Jet
Joker & The Thief by Wolfmother
Twist & Shout clearly The Beatles
Kiss by Prince
Margaritaville by my darling beach bum Jimmy
Shake Ya Tailfeather by all my boys in the hood - especially my Nelly. I loveth him!


I could go on and on but these are the first that came to mind.

AiringMyLaundry said...

I listen to a lot of oldies. Like The Beatles and The Beach Boys.

Jenny and the Princess Peonies said...

Oh hott damn this is my jam....

You know I have MANY jams. But here are a couple I have to stop - turn up - and jam to.

Men at Work - Down Under

Dexys Midnight Runners - Come on Eileen

Devo - Whip it

The Bangles - Walk Like an Egyptian

One of my absolute faves you already have. Who doesn't love raspberry beret?

Of course I love me some new music including The BEP and Lady GaGa but those are a given. I am working on my summer list too. Let me know what you come up with.

xoxo

John Deere Mom said...

I just downloaded several songs from itunes that were making me jam. Right now I am loving Poker Face, Just Dance, Boom Boom Pow. Other current songs? Gives You Hell, Right Round, That's Not My Name, I could go on forever! :)

Anonymous said...

Have you seen Weird Al's version of Ridin' Dirty? It is HILARIOUS! (It could just be that I am an engineer wannabe and think it's awesome!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp6eswhgOKk

I hope that your blood tests go well! If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask!

Laura said...

"Dancin' Queen"...even though I'm more of an '80's girl! My 4 year old daughter and I LOVE to belt this one out! It's actually our "bonding" time - Ha!

Ker said...

It took me a long time to think about this. There are so many songs to jam to, but I think my number one favorite jam song of all time is Flowing by 311:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLQPeyCqUR0

/swoon

/jam

Jennifer P. said...

Just hit my blog playlist! I'm a bit of a retro girl, but I try and find some good new stuff too. It's a bit old, but I can never get enough of hearing Mira's "The Garden". And I've been on a Beastie Boy kick lately.


I'm sorry--that's all I got *hangs head in shame...* :)

Angela said...

Okay. The song that never, ever, ever EVER fails to make me dance is:

And We Danced, by the Hooters. Check it! I defy anyone to listen to that song for more than 10 seconds without shakin' something!

Vicki said...

Since I am no music maven my two summer jams are rather run of the mill. Summertime by Kenny Chesney and Sweet Home Alabamba. Well, SHA is my jam anytime, anywhere, any season. Shackles by Mary, Mary is a cool one too. I may make that one my answer tone for DC since Du won't let me use any songs with "revolution" in them ;)...

Shannon said...

Here's another one for ya...


"Freeze" by T-Pain. It does feature that douchebag, Chris Brown... but I like the beat.