Thursday, June 18, 2009

These Days...

It's just been one of those days.  


You know...those days.

All it does is rain here.  Rain, rain, rain.  The green surrounding me is so blindingly bright that I'm thisclose to praying for Autumn's orange-tinged hues.

OK, so I'm not ready for fall.  I'm just ready for sun.  And hot weather.  So that my girls are not stuck indoors.  And so I can do some summer reading out by the pool.  The rain is messing with my poolside reading schedule and I'm a bit like an impertinent child, stamping my feet because I'm inside these four walls.

But today...
in the span of about an hour...

*One child spilt peach tea (aka it leaves an impenetrable stain) all over the rug while the other tee-tee'ed in one of our bar chairs.  She is potty-trained, or so I thought.

*My husband's early mid-life crisis automobile broke down in the hospital parking lot.  I had to leave 2 stove eyes burning and garlic bread baking in the oven to go fetch him.  Reluctantly. Just being honest.

*The garlic bread burnt.  We ate it anyway.  

*I burnt my forearm trying to salvage said garlic bread from a 400 degree oven.  Dangit.

* In the middle of all this, one of my BFF's from college tried to contact me via Yahoo Messenger.  I had to tell her, "Hi--in the middle of a crisis--talk to you later!"  I felt like a dog for dismissing her in such a manner.  Becky, I love you.  

*My marinara tasted off.  I must have added too much Cabernet to it.  Love me through this admission.

*Oh, and while on the way to rescue Scott from the hospital parking lot, some redneck in an old Ford truck spit tobacco juice out his window.  It landed on my MomVan.  I was not tailgating. He just had mad projection skills.  Um...hi...that is beyond gross.  

*Let me also mention that earlier in the day the sky turned black.  The heavens opened and once again we prepared for the flood.  Libbey and I were trying to watch High School Musical 3, yet the power kept going on and off.  Come on, people.  That's. Just. Rude.  Zac Efron deserves better.
Gratuitous Zac shot. You're welcome.

*Due to the storm, my yard now looks like Beirut.  I haven't the time nor the inclination to remove all the weeds, debris, and fallen leaves/limbs that are littering what was once my garden mecca.  It makes me tired just thinking about it.

So in the midst of my afternoon turmoil, I found myself repeating the adage, "Too blessed to be stressed...I'm too blessed to be stressed..."

But I was stressed anyway.  Honestly is the best policy, folks.  And we've all been there, right?

Therefore I'm going to bed early, after spending some well-earned time in a very hot bubble bath, reading my latest novel, while listening to Melody Gardot.  (She is the cure for what ails...kid you not.)  I need a sublime ending to a subpar day.  Seriously.

And how has your day been?

p.s.  Also as effective as bubbles and the stirrings of Melody Gardot...a good friend, who sends the most hysterical text the minute I need it.  Lauren, I thank you...I love you...and I'm craving a Nathan's hot dog right now.  You know why.

32 comments:

Heather said...

You poor thing.

What novel are you reading?

I love you even when your marinara is off. I'd prefer if we could just grill out big juicy steaks in July. Just sayin'.

I got to meet my first ever blogger friend in person today. Jen from Three Little Indians. Good times. Gonna blog about it later.

Thanks for sending Lacey over to my blog. Even though she didn't win :( I'll still bring y'all some Cincinnati stuff when we visit.

Hope tomorrow is better.

Jen said...

Not the best day here either, vomiting kids and all. But healed all my wounds with chocolate cake. I too am so sick of the rain. It is making us all grumpy.
I hope that your bubbles healed you. Here's some wishes for a better day tomorrow.

jori-o said...

I hate days like that...when everything goes wrong, but it's not BIG things that go wrong, so you feel a wee bit guilty about being so grumpy....tomorrow has got to be better. It will be!

And send some rain our way! It's hotter than Hades here already and hasn't even reached the peak...! =( Blah. I'm not sure I know what a green outdoors would even look like--I'd think I was dreaming about the Emerald City...

Kristina P. said...

I am tired! I've not been sleeping. Boooo.

Rhea said...

So, I need to know what you're reading right now.

AND, I flew from Florida back home to Texas today. I enjoyed Disney World, but I am so, so, SO happy to be home again.

Kristen said...

Dear Lula, the horribleness you endured today! My day was not much better. I swear I'm losing my mind this week.

Sigh...

I need a dose of Rob.

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

Yes...what are you reading? You just can't mention that you are digging into a book...and not mention what it is. It's just cruel. And unusual. Or something.

Did I miss anything?

Angela said...

We all have those days! Hope tomorrow is better for you. I can always tell when I am going to have one of those days, because they always start before 8 a.m. As in, about five things will have gone wrong before I even get into the car to go to work. And I always hate that feeling because I just KNOW there is more fun to come during that day. I will usually actually stop and PRAY for it to not get worse, before I even get in the car, LOL!

Happy(er) Friday!

Swirl Girl said...

It couldn't have been that bad to be stuck inside all day surfing the web for a glorious picture of Zac Efron now could it?

;)

SunshineBarlowe.com said...

girl,
you crack my butt up.
and i love you for it.

now what are you reading??

and i know you aren't in bed missy.. you are emailing me.
ha.

Nicole said...

OMG I can totally relate to the rain, I'm so sick of it I could puke! Today was our first day without rain, floods, tornados or hail. It was sooooo nice.

Mmmm a bubble bath sounds nice. I dont have time though. I'm prepping for a very busy weekend. Maybe when it's all over I can sneak one in! LOL, yeah right.

Busy Bee Lauren said...

That is one of the hottest pictures of Zac ever. Other than that one you sent me a couple hours ago. haha!

Abby said...

Despite your bad day, I still laughed while reading this post... does that help? you crack me up!

I just love when people say "said _____" (fill in the blank, in your case, it was "said garlic bread"). it makes me laugh every time. I always want to use that term but never remember.... humph.

Amy said...

Dang girl, send us some of that rain. We are having a hot drought over here!

Zac is a cutie, why am I liking all these 'boys' my daughters like?

Here's hoping your Friday and your weekend are wayyy better! Muah!

SouthernDogwoods said...

Your day definitely sounds crazy hectic but ending it with a bubble bath & novel is a perfect ending.
Whatcha reading? I am always looking for a good book.

Ash said...

Next time, save the Cabernet for yourself and I'm sure the marinara will be excellent, no matter what.

And don't worry, all that rain you're getting now was ours last week - now it's 98 and I can see steam rising from my driveway. Good news is that I already look 10 years younger!

"Too blessed to be stressed" is being locked in my mental box right now - excellent mantra.

I hope today dawns brighter!!!

Heather said...

Thank you, Lord, for making Zac Efron so pretty. I'm too blessed to be stressed...

I'm so sorry about the poopie weather!! We've had it here too. Many tornados, tons of rain, etc. I agree, the green is lovely and my hanging baskets are state fair worthy, but enough is enough.

And I ADORE that your child was drinking peach tea (sorry she spilled though, momma). I found a twinfant walking around with my sweet tea the other day. A child of the south is a beautiful thing...even if they've never lived there. My children are still being raised with southern values and already spritz themselves with Love's Baby Soft (their perfume) before they go to school.

I'm rambling. Will call later. Need a Lula fix.

Mama Dawg said...

Um, sweetie? Next time warn a girl before you post that pic of Zac. Or any pic of Zac. My 32 year old heart about gave way when I saw that oh so delicious example of the superior male species.

Tony C said...

Too much Cabernet in the marinara...is that possible?

I'll bet you have a grand weekend. God has a way of balancing things. If it continues going bad, just think about the Sham Wow commercial...that guy could make anyone feel better.

Unknown said...

plus... Rob got hit by a cab!
what a bad day.

remind me to tell you sometime about seeing melody in concert & her bitch mom

Sissy said...

Thanks for the Zac shot...it brightened my morning.

We have had that same rain! My yard is green, green, green and the bamboo that we try so hard to kill is thriving. My backyard looks like Vietnam. Seriously.

CaraBee said...

My day yesterday wasn't close to that, but it had its moments. Cranky, crying, no-napping toddler that wouldn't stop punching me in my about to explode not-so-fun bags.

Have you seen the GQ cover with Zac? While I think he looks dreamy as always, is it just me or does he look freakishly big-headed? I mean, like a bobble head.

Too much wine in the sauce? ....Does not compute.

Marrdy said...

Now that is a stressful day. You should come to visit...we actually have sun today and 80 degrees. Of course tomorrow the rain starts again....where is summer?

LenaLoo said...

Oh Lula... I love your honesty... honestly :) hugs for your bad day... oh and bubble baths are always more fun when you pour a few too many bubbles in it :) just sayin...

Infarrantly Creative said...

You must have been stressed you spelled my name wrong. LOL!! I am sorry you had a bad day. We all have those when we are moms right? Yours was yesterday...so now you are not due one for awhile ;-)

Laura said...

I hope your weekend is MUCH better!

Gina said...

On days like that I skip the maranara and go straight for the cabernet. We were being honest, right?

Unknown said...

I agree with Gina! Stopping by from sits!

Brandy said...

Why do you have to make us beg? WHAT'S THE BOOK ALREADY?! LOL!

I hope your Friday was much, MUCH better than your Thursday.

Ker said...

I will GLADLY take some of that rain off your hands Lula! Although, it is officially Monsoon season here in AZ... so on second thought, I'll just send you our 100 degree heat and some sunshine :)

Hope things perk up around there for you!

Anonymous said...

Pissy days suck butt.

All better now I hope?

Live.Love.Eat said...

Oh, I so wish you had been in Hilton Head with me last Thursday eating 5 lbs of crab legs. So, I am combining comments for your posts. Shoot me. Or just eat crab legs and drink Blue Moon with me. But really, sorry your day was sucky. But I do love that "too blessed to be stressed." I forget that all too often.....

And I really did have all you can eat crab legs at more than one place last week.....SO good.